Saturday, August 13, 2011

A Ghost has Followed Me for the last 30 Years

It's an odd morning. I'm up early on a weekend, because I need to go look homes. I'm selling my current house as part of the divorce settlement. Even though I own the house outright, I have to split what I sell the house for with the psycho-ex. That puts a dent in my buying power for the next house. A serious dent. I'll be downscaling quite a bit, as lost my good-paying job in January. Now I have a job at half the salary. That's miserable in this market.

Anyway. I'm sitting in the living room watching a little TV, waiting to leave for the appointment with the real estate agent. I've got a dog and a cat. Both of them are sitting in the LR with me.

Suddenly, there's a loud crash in the laundry. "What the fuck was that?" I didn't jump up. I set my coffee aside, then got up slowly. I went into the laundry room, and there on the floor is a huge bottle of liquid laundry detergent pouring out onto the floor.

"Shit!" I snatched up the detergent and screwed on the cap. On the floor, a blue pool slowly spreads out across the linoleum. I grabbed some dirty clothes from the hamper and soaked up the detergent.

I'm doing a load of laundry early today. But I'm still wondering how the fuck that detergent got off the top shelf and onto the floor.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm less surprised it happened and more surprised you didnt jump when you heard the crash. Nerves of steele or a trained attack cat - not sure yet.