Monday, May 16, 2011

The Twisted Twins and Dead Hooker in a Trunk - Perfect Characters

Writing the characters of psychos, killers, and Femdom vampires isn't as easy as one might think.

You know that old saw: Write what you know.

I admit to being slightly unhinged. (Did I say slightly? I meant completely.)


I don't think I've killed anyone. Threatened a lot of folks. Beat down some punks who thought a chick was an easy target. (NOTE: Motorcycle helmet makes a great weapon.) But I don't remember actually killing anyone.

And while I'm definitely a Dominant Female (Femdom, for those of you who don't know the lifestyle), I'm not a vampire.

Write what you know. It just doesn't hold a lot of meaning to me when I stride out into the supernatural. I mean, fuck, do you think Stephen King is a fucking ghost? And yet, he's written about dozens of the wispy critters. Do you think the ever-sweet Ania Ahlborn has ever killed anyone? (Hmm. Sweetness is a good cover, so I might have to give this one a maybe.) And yet Seed, coming soon everywhere, threatens all kinds of killing.

The point is (you knew I had to get back to the point) that to really understand a character requires research. Real killers. Made up killers. (The voices in my head.)

I prefer the psychopath. Not necessarily a killer, though my psychopathic vampires do tend to slaughter folks. But they do so without conscious.

And that brings me to my point. Dead Hooker in a Trunk has some of the best psychopathy portrayed in a movie that I've seen. I've seen movies more gruesome, and flicks with disturbed murderers. But Dead Hooker ... I can't give a lot away. But I've got to talk about a single scene, and I'll do it without giving away the story.

It's either Jen or Sylvia - I've never met them face-to-face, and I can't tell the Twisted Twins apart - who at one point beats down a trucker who wasn't paying attention. That single scene is so perfect, so realistic, that in that moment you realize that Jen (or Sylvia) is a true psychopath - absolutely without conscious.

She's not a murder. Although she does her fair share of killing. She's not hopelessly disturbed. She's an out and out psychopath.

Either one of the twins from Dead Hooker could be models for one of my vampires. They're perfect.

That's the kind of research I do when I begin a story. I read a lot. I watch a lot. I pay attention when someone does it perfectly.

1 comment:

Jen/Sylv Soska said...

This is beautifully written and extremely gracious of you to say. That particular scene was written mainly by my twinnie - Jen - and performed by me -Sylv.

I loved watching these anti-hero, ruthless characters growing up, but I noticed they were almost always male characters. I know some crazy ladies that could put the fellas to the test in reality, why the scarceness in cinema?

I am so happy that you enjoyed the flick and that your vampires eat people rather than sparkle.

Sylv