Thursday, June 16, 2011

Using Flash Fiction to Hone Writing Skills

Over the years, I've written a lot of Flash Fiction, but none so challenging as "Twitter-style" FF. Limiting an idea to 140 characters, while including at least one username, is helluva workout for my creative (and sometimes violent!) side. I have to squeeze the thoughts as small as possible, yet still get the point across. For most of them, I'm successful. A few -- eh!

I've written poetry off and on for years, and that likely helps me to create these ultra short-short pieces of work. Poetry demands economy. I also worked as a copy editor for a newspaper for a number of years. Copy editors write headlines - another exercise in short writing. Have a look at the ones posted below. I've got more to come.

---
"The name's Death, @VickiDeath." She threw her card on the table and I picked it up. It's the last thing I remember.

"I had no idea that you'd become a @Vampiregigi!" His eyes were wide at her sharp fangs. "Yeah. And I don't freaking sparkle."

"Darlin," he said. "I want a @ParaYourNormal pants, not these ghostly, see-through things." That's when I hit him.

"Damn, that @syco_punk got brain juice on my feet." I held the gun level. "You sure he didn't bite you?"

It was an unfortunate oversight involving pants that earned him the name @Milo_Moon

"You don't always need a @Chainsaw_Sally." @ssraven looked up and grinned. "Sometimes, you just need a rope." http://ow.ly/5d7jP

Bells ring; Angels get wings. Cars beep; People die. That's why they call him @TheHornedReaper.

Fifteen zombies beat down the heavy doors of the hospital. "Don't just stand there," she said. "This is your call to @ActionChick."

"No, dummy. Not the feet." He huffed and clenched his teeth. "I told you. I want @TheTweetOfGod."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hah! Brilliant. I write flashfiction myself, to hone ze skills, but I never tried Twitter FF. I especially liked this:

Fifteen zombies beat down the heavy doors of the hospital. "Don't just stand there," she said. "This is your call to @ActionChick."

LOL! Thanks for this entertaining post. I'll go to my cave now and come up with goodie bites myself. ^_^